> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Taxation > I haven't filed in years

I haven't filed in years

1 Answers. Asked on Apr 07th, 2017 on Taxation - Georgia
More details to this question:
I just received a phone message about fraud and hiding from the federal government. what do I do?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Apr 10th, 2017 at 5:25 AM

It sounds like you have two separate issues. The IRS does not call people out of the blue. Therefore, if you are receiving threatening phone calls accusing you of tax fraud and saying that immediate legal action will be taken if you don't pay up, you are likely yourself the victim of attempted fraud: most, if not all, of those calls are scams. Report the call to the police and do NOT respond to them.

As for your failure to file past returns: you ideally need to correct that situation sooner rather than later. Find a good CPA that has experience with tax controversy matters and have the CPA help you put together and file the returns you should have filed and pay as much of the resulting tax liability as you can as quickly as possible. Then, don't fail to file returns in the future. Best wishes to you.

This answer is being provided as general information and not as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer.

Report Abuse
When should you hire taxation lawyers? Tax attorneys can assist individuals and businesses in a number of situations. Start-up businesses should talk to a tax lawyer to understand the tax implication of various business structures. Companies should also seek legal counsel on issues related to payroll taxes, sales taxes, use taxes and international tax issues. Individuals and couples can benefit from a tax lawyer's advice when engaged in estate planning, if you may have committed tax fraud, or if you're facing an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or state tax audit.
Have an Taxation Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

314 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

238 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

150 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

126 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

93 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

93 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Taxation Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums