> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Taxation > Minor child claimed dependant by custodial mom- now being threatened by non-custodial dad

Minor child claimed dependant by custodial mom- now being threatened by non-custodial dad

1 Answers. Asked on Apr 28th, 2016 on Taxation - Georgia
More details to this question:
my divorce decree says the minor child can be claimed by divorced parents alternating years. I have claimed minor child for all of the years due to the fact that non-custodial has had her less than 4 days of any year. He had to have his wages garnished for non payment of child support and is now just paying 2011-2015 back taxes with penalties... He says he is taking me to court. How can he expect to claim minor when he spend virtually no time with her which makes him uneligible
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on May 12th, 2016 at 6:04 AM

If the divorce decree allows your ex to claim your daughter in alternating years, then he is presumptively eligible to do so. Unfortunately, how much time he spends with her does not matter; it's the payment of support. You may be able to successfully defend yourself against his claims if he was not paying, and you might be able to successfully win with the IRS if he claims her on some of his returns for years you also claimed her, but you will have to deal with the provision in the agreement that gives him the right to claim her. Best wishes to you.

This answer is being provided as general information and not as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer.

Report Abuse
When should you hire taxation lawyers? Tax attorneys can assist individuals and businesses in a number of situations. Start-up businesses should talk to a tax lawyer to understand the tax implication of various business structures. Companies should also seek legal counsel on issues related to payroll taxes, sales taxes, use taxes and international tax issues. Individuals and couples can benefit from a tax lawyer's advice when engaged in estate planning, if you may have committed tax fraud, or if you're facing an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or state tax audit.
Have an Taxation Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

316 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

236 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

146 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

119 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

88 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Taxation Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums