Capital Gains Tax

Get a Free Evaluation For Your Capital Gains Tax Case From a Local Attorney

2010 Budget and Retaining Federal Estate Tax
At the end of April, the House and Senate each approved a Fiscal 2010 Budget Resolution which calls for extending the federal estate tax into 2010. Under Bush-era tax legislation enacted in 2001, the estate tax was due to disappear at the stroke of midnight on January 1, 2010. According to a press release ... READ MORE

Federal Estate Tax May Be Here to Stay
Remember Benjamin Franklin's brilliant and insightful saying, "In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes?" Estate taxes bring those two certainties together. For the past decade or so, federal estate taxes have been less burdensome, and there's even a tax-free year scheduled. Congress, though, ... READ MORE

Get Your Hands on Energy Stimulus Funds
Congress passed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (also known as the "Stimulus Act") to pump $787 billion back into the nation's failing economy. A chunk of that money, $16.8 billion, was allotted to the US Department of Energy (DOE) to increase energy efficiency and decrease dependence ... READ MORE

Congratulations, You Just Won a Jackpot! Now Pay Up!
When you play the lottery, mostly you think about the the cash you'll win.  However, when you win at Powerball or another lottery, the federal and state government win as well. This is because your winning are taxable income. ... READ MORE

Job Changes, Your Retirement Plan and Rollovers
What happens to your retirement assets when you leave one employer for another? The answer depends upon what your current retirement plan allows and which allowable option you choose. Generally, you'll have several choices, including: Leaving your savings with your former employer Rolling over your savings ... READ MORE

Life Event: Income Tax Preparation
Every January the ads for tax preparation services start appearing. That can only mean one thing: Income Tax time. By January 31, you should have all of the forms necessary to complete your taxes, W2's, 1099's and more. Then, it's up you to determine what your income is, deductions - itemized or standard, ... READ MORE

Marriage and Filing Your Federal Tax Return
Filing a tax return with your spouse usually results in lower taxes. Sometimes a married couple can cut their tax bill by filing separately. The IRS offers married taxpayers two options: filing jointly or filing separately. You and your spouse will want to decide whether the benefits of filing a joint ... READ MORE

Section 529 Savings Accounts
Paying for higher education is often a challenge. One option is a 529 Savings Plan, or as the IRS calls it, a Qualified Tuition Program (QTP). Parents and students save for college or other accredited schools with this savings account. What's a 529 Plan? A 529 Plan is created by a state, a state ... READ MORE

Child Tax Exemptions, Deductions and Divorce
As if getting a divorce isn't stressful and complicated enough. Once it's over, there's a whole new set of problems to deal with - your taxes. For divorced or separated parents, it's even more complicated, especially when it comes to figuring out which of you gets to take the income tax deductions for ... READ MORE

Constructive Dividends May Cost More Than They Pay
Most businesses are taxpayers, too. And just like any other taxpayer, they want to pay as little taxes as possible. Sometimes, however, companies take deductions or other tax benefits when they're not supposed to. For example, a company may pay some personal expenses for a shareholder and take a business ... READ MORE


Get a Free Evaluation For Your Capital Gains Tax Case From a Local Attorney

Change Location

Get Started *Please enter a valid location.

Taxation Law Firms in Ashburn, VA 
change location

Swipe to view more

Lawyers from our extensive network are ready to answer your question

Taxation Questions

Filter by

Unfortunatly, you will need to find either a good CPA who can help you work with the IRS or a good tax attorney who does tax controversy work to help. I don't do tax controversies myself; I only do ta ...Read more

The gas company's asking for a W-9 does not necessarily mean that any damages they pay you will be taxable income, no. But they will generally be required to issue a 1099 if they are going to deduct t ...Read more

Generally speaking and assuming no other issues, the IRS will generally consider offers in compromise and installment payment plans.

See more Taxation Questions

Proposed Tax Deduction for Pet Medical Bills

If you own a pet, you know veterinary bills are a costly but necessary part of pet ownership. In California, pet owners may soon be able to receive a tax deduction for medical costs incurred on behalf ... Read more

2017 List of Dirty Dozen Tax Scams

Each year, the Internal Revenue Service identifies a “Dirty Dozen” list comprised of a variety of common tax scams that a taxpayer may encounter. Although a taxpayer may encounter the sche ... Read more

Want To Retire Already Millennials? Here Are 4 Ways To Help You Get Started

Contributing Author: Dianne Schechter Launching into adulthood is never an easy task, but today’s young people do have it pretty rough — at least compared with recent generations. Fallout ... Read more

Tax Implications of Marriage

Couples who decide to get married usually do not consider the tax implications of marriage until it is time to make their first joint filing. While many couples enjoy tax benefits after they are marri ... Read more


We are in a new year and tax season is just around the corner. Because of this, if you have received a personal injury settlement or award it is important that you understand all the tax ramifications ... Read more

See more  (345 Blogs on Taxation)

Get Professional Help

Find a Capital Gains Tax lawyer
Practice Area:
Zip Code:
How It Works
  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys

Talk to an attorney

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you