> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Taxation > The gas company is asking us to provide a W-9 before they will pay us for damage to our property. Does this mean this will be taxable income?

The gas company is asking us to provide a W-9 before they will pay us for damage to our property. Does this mean this will be taxable income?

1 Answers. Asked on Sep 08th, 2016 on Taxation - Georgia
More details to this question:
The gas company has an easement for a pipeline on our property. After we received estimates for the damage and temporary fencing, we submitted a quote for about $40,000. Now the company wants us to fill out a W-9. We asked if that meant we would receive a 1099 and this would be taxable income. The gas company won't answer that question in writing. The agent told us it is standard operating procedure and we won't get a check for the damage if we don't submit a W-9.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Sep 09th, 2016 at 6:53 AM

The gas company's asking for a W-9 does not necessarily mean that any damages they pay you will be taxable income, no. But they will generally be required to issue a 1099 if they are going to deduct the damages against their own taxable income, and the W-9 is needed for them to be able to do that. Whether or not the payment is taxable income to you is a completely separate question that you will need to answer when you file your income taxes for the year you receive the payment. You should consult a competent income tax preparer to determine that answer.

This answer is being provided as general information and not as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer.

Report Abuse
When should you hire taxation lawyers? Tax attorneys can assist individuals and businesses in a number of situations. Start-up businesses should talk to a tax lawyer to understand the tax implication of various business structures. Companies should also seek legal counsel on issues related to payroll taxes, sales taxes, use taxes and international tax issues. Individuals and couples can benefit from a tax lawyer's advice when engaged in estate planning, if you may have committed tax fraud, or if you're facing an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or state tax audit.
Have an Taxation Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

336 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

240 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

174 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

93 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

88 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

69 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums